Kevin Blanchard - CV
I am an experienced environmental and social development policy adviser and project manager, specialising in stakeholder engagement, policy design/ implementation and management, legislative influencing and capacity development. I also have experience in developing and implementing environmental and social management systems.
· Masters in Environment, Politics & Globalisation - King’s College London, Sept 10 – Aug 11
· Environmental Management BSc (Hons) - Kingston University, 2006 -09
IMC Worldwide, Senior Environmental & Social Development Consultant (May 12 – Dec 12)
My main roles were to advise on the environmental and social development positions for projects funded by large international donor organisations. My duties include:
· Lead on developing expressions of interest, proposals and project design and implementation for multinational donors such as World Bank and ADB.
· Project managing (remotely) the environmental and social development aspects of large infrastructure projects around the world including Burma, India and Vietnam. The projects included bridge, railway, building and highway construction.
· Provide an in-depth capacity building, training and expertise to funding bodies concerning climate change mitigation, poverty reduction, development and adaptation issues.
· Developing, implementing and maintaining stakeholder engagement strategies to highlight key aspects of projects. Develop stakeholder management plans, timelines and M&E methodology.
· Maintain a strong technical knowledge of all areas related to the business in order to provide analytical advice to internal and external team members. Data analysis, reporting and dissemination.
· Develop the Environmental Management System (EMS) to ensure compliance with ISO14000. Following on from the steps put in place during my time at IMC, the organisation became ISO14000 certified in January 2013.
Department of Energy and Climate Change, Policy Advisor, Nov 11 – May12 (Contract)
During my time at DECC I was a project manager/ policy advisor on the procurement of a UK auction platform for European Emissions Trading System, Phase III. My duties include:
· Develop climate change mitigation and adaptation policy based on analysis of industry requirements, EU and UK climate change legislative requirements and input from internal stakeholders and Ministers.
· Lead on and deliver implementation of policy research related to climate change adaptation and mitigation on a national and international level.
· Develop first class knowledge and expertise in all aspects of international climate change legislation, industry requirements and subsequent regulatory impacts.
· Providing weekly policy updates to DECC Ministers, press and stakeholders to express UK strategy for mitigating and adapting to climate change caused via carbon emissions.
· Ensuring communication between public and private sector was effective in building stakeholder relationships. Tailoring language and requirements to suit the various stakeholder audiences.
Defra, Policy advisor on the Flood Management Act 2010, July 09 – Mar 2010 (Contract)
I was a policy advisor on the Flood and Water Management Act 2010. My duties included:
· Developing policy to mitigate climate change related increases in flooding and extreme precipitation on infrastructure, households and livelihoods.
· Policy outcomes based on historical flood risk management legislation and streamline the reaction process to floods in the UK following on from the Pitt Review.
· Maintain, develop and monitor strategy and policy decisions using data analysis and qualitative and quantitative methodology.
· Developing a stakeholder communication strategy and process that is used in the Flood Management department still. The work carried out during my time within the Department ensured stakeholder communication and consultation processes were made more efficient and effective.
· Use cost benefit analysis to prioritise aspects of the Act based on the net benefit to communities, industry and government over a set time period.
· Project management, time management and excellent written, presentational and oral communication skills.
ABTA Ltd, Sustainable Tourism Policy Manager, Oct 02 – Sept 06
During my time within the Association, I developed the following skills:
· Develop policy to be implemented nationwide in all member travel agents to provide guidance and assistance in offering sustainable, low environmental impact holidays.
· Assist in the development and maintenance of the Associations environmental management system and working towards achieving ISO14000 certification.
· Developing, implementing and promoting annual reviews of sustainable practices within the Association’s building. This was primarily focused on recycling waste/ water, ensuring energy usage was as efficient as possible and developing promotional materials and strategy for Association staff.
Memberships, other qualifications and publications
· Member of the Chartered Institute of Water and Environmental Management (MCIWEM)
· Member of the King’s College London Environmental Research & Management Group
· Environmental Management Systems Implementation [Online]